While public transit options are not as plentiful as they are in larger areas, there are still several options from which residents, students, visitors, and workers have to choose from such as:
- The Voluntary Action Center provides door-to-door paratransit services for residents in DeKalb County, as well as routes serving DeKalb, Sycamore, and Kishwaukee College.
- Northern Illinois University students, staff, and faculty, as well as other residents are served by the Huskie Bus Lines.
- Greyhound recently brought bus service back to DeKalb. The bus route runs twice daily each way between Chicago and Davenport, Iowa.
- The Elburn Train Station, about 15 miles from downtown DeKalb, provides frequent train service into downtown Chicago.
Public Transit Comments
Do you have a comment or complaint about public transit in the DeKalb region? Please fill out the appropriate comment form below and we will forward your comments to the appropriate officials.
- DeKalb Sycamore Area Transportation Study (DSATS,) the City of DeKalb, and the Voluntary Action Center jointly operate a Title VI Program to ensure all residents, workers, and vendors have equal access to involvement in the transportation planning process, access to transportation, and the ability on transportation funded projects. If you feel you have been a victim of discrimination while using public transit you can submit a complaint:
- For other Public Transit Issues, you can submit to us a General Comment Form.
View a listing of ambulance service providers in the DeKalb area.Link to page
DeKalb Area Transit Services
Learn about the transit options available to individuals in the DeKalb area.Link to page
Regional Transportation Services
The DeKalb area does not currently have any dedicated regional rail or bus transportation providers, however, there are nearby regional systems citizens can use.Link to page
Ride Sharing Services
There is currently no official car or van pool services in the DeKalb Sycamore area, however, there are regional services that may be used.Link to page
DSATS Transit Subcommittee
The Transit Subcommittee meets on the 4th Monday of each month on an as needed basis to make provide guidance on public transit issues in the DeKalb Urbanized Area (UZA)Link to page
Regional Transit Studies
Regional Transit Studies published by DSATS and other OrganizationsLink to page
Public Transit Reports & Studies
Access annual reports, plans, studies, and grant projects administered by the City of DeKalb in the provision of public transit in the DeKalb Urbanized Area.Link to page