The City of DeKalb's Code Compliance Division staff works with citizens to maintain a community that is safe, desirable, and inviting to visitors and potential residents and businesses. One responsibility of this division is the Crime-Free Housing initiative, which helps landlords learn how they can protect their investments and encourage renters to be good neighbors.
- The Code Compliance Coordinator oversees all aspects of the Code Compliance Division, including annual rental property registration, crime-free certification workshops for residential property managers, and property security assessments. This individual is the liaison between the Police Department and the landlord/rental property owner community.
- Code Compliance Inspectors conduct proactive "sidewalk inspections," which are simply visual assessments of properties from a public right-of-way or an area open to the public, respond to property maintenance complaints, and follow up with property owners on repair progress.
As of Tuesday, January 1, 2013, revisions to the City of DeKalb Municipal Ordinance Chapter 10: Landlord-Tenant Regulations Opens a New Window. took effect In brief, the ordinance states:
- Every landlord must submit an annual Landlord Registration of Rental Units form Opens a New Window. to register their rental property with the City of DeKalb.
- Every lease must include the regulations in the Crime Free Lease Addendum Opens a New Window. .
- Every landlord must attend an educational program in the first year and in subsequent years on a rotating schedule.
Property Maintenance Regulations
The Code Compliance Division works to help all property owners to comply with the regulations contained in City of DeKalb Municipal Code Chapter 24: Building Code Opens a New Window. , Article 10 "International Property Maintenance Code."
Typical property maintenance issues include weeds and tall grass, trash and snow/ice removal, and unlicensed/inoperable vehicles. You may view a listing of violations in which Code Compliance has investigated or is currently investigating.
- 2016 Violation Listing Opens a New Window.
- 2017 Violation Listing Opens a New Window.
- 2018 Violation Listing Opens a New Window.
If you have an emergency, please dial 911
For non-emergency information during business hours, please dial 815-748-2060
For non-emergency information outside of business hours, please dial 815-748-8400
For More Information
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Code Compliance Coordinator via email Opens a New Window. or call 815-748-2374.