Parking Violations

There are a couple of ways to take care of a parking ticket.


The first option is to pay the fine. Payments can be made via mail, in person at the DeKalb Municipal Building or DeKalb Police Department Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., deposited in a drop box after hours at the locations above, placed in a downtown parking drop box, or online

​Speak to the officer

If you feel you may have received the parking ticket in error, you may speak to the officer who wrote the ticket. The officer or supervisor are the only individuals who can void or adjust tickets. To speak to an officer, you can come to the police department or call the Police Department's non-emergency line at  815-748-8400, option 1. 

Request a Hearing

After speaking to an officer, if you still feel that the ticket was give in error you may request a hearing. To request a hearing you must fully complete the Request for Administrative Hearing Parking Tickets form. Once completed, either mail or hand deliver the form to the City’s Legal Department at the address listed on the form. Once the completed form is received by the Legal Department, a Notice of Hearing will be mailed to you informing you of your hearing date.

If you wish to contest a Failure to Comply Ticket for a property maintenance violation, you must sign and date the section on the ticket requesting a hearing and return it to the City of DeKalb’s Municipal Building.

For more information, please contact the Legal Department.