A five-month plan has been laid out for crafting next year’s DeKalb City budget.
The City Council Monday agreed to a schedule for creating the Fiscal Year 2022 City budget with budget discussions beginning next month and approval planned in December.
“The purpose here is to be very transparent about what our key objectives are in terms of the fiscal health of the government and also the community,” said City Manager Bill Nicklas.
Here is the budget schedule:
• Thursday, August 12: Publication of an Agenda for a Joint Meeting between the Council and the Finance Advisory Committee on August 16.
• Monday, August 16: Joint Meeting of the City Council and Finance Advisory Committee, 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. This joint meeting will review assumptions presented by the City Manager regarding revenue trends and possible expenditures in the following budgets:
- General Fund
- Motor Fuel Tax Fund (Fund 210)
- Capital Projects Fund (Fund 400)
- TIF #1 and TIF #3 Funds (Funds 260 and 262)
- Pension Obligations
• August 30-October 14: Intense Department-level budget discussions around spending targets based on general goals established on August 16.
• Thursday, October 14: Publication of an Agenda for an FAC Meeting on October 18.
• Monday, October 18: Finance Advisory Board Meeting to review proposed, detailed FY2022 Budget highlights, including annual levy assumptions, 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
• Monday, October 25: Council consideration of property tax levy options.
• Monday, November 8: Presentation of a Council resolution establishing a Truth in Taxation Hearing for November 22.
• Monday, November 15 & Wednesday, November 17: Back-to-back Special Council meetings in joint session with the Finance Advisory Committee to go over the Proposed FY2022 Budget document. The General Fund departments will be the focus on November 15, and the Capital, Enterprise, and Special Funds will be the focus on November 17.
• Monday, November 22: Truth in Taxation Hearing and FY2022 Budget Hearing. First Reading on Proposed FY2022 City Budget.
• Monday, December 13: Second Reading on Proposed FY2022 City Budget.
• December 31, 2021: Last day to file the approved FY2022 Annual Budget and Property Tax Levy with the DeKalb County Clerk.