If you live in the City of DeKalb, open burning is regulated. For additional information, see the DeKalb Municipal Code, Chapter 24, Article 3, Section 307.1.2, which provides for regulations concerning open burning. The burning of leaves and garden debris within the corporate limits of the City of DeKalb shall be allowed within the following regulations:
- The burning of leaves and garden debris shall be kept a minimum of thirty (30) feet from any house, fence, accumulations of combustibles, other buildings, or lot line.
- Only small amounts are permitted to be burned at one time and shall be supervised by at least one responsible adult at all times until the fire is extinguished.
- A garden hose or other suitable fire-fighting equipment is required near the site for immediate use.
- Leaves and garden debris are prohibited from being burned on a public right of way. Leaf and garden debris burning is prohibited after sunset.
- Open burning of leaves or garden debris that will be offensive or objectionable because of smoke or odor emissions when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such leaf or garden debris burning hazardous or objectionable shall be prohibited.
- The fire code official is authorized to order the extinguishment of such fires.
- A citation may be issued by a code enforcement official for repeated violations, starting with the second offense within one week.