Duties & ResponsibilitiesSince 2013, the DeKalb City Council has assigned the City Clerk only the duties specifically set by Illinois statutes and local ordinances, which means the position is currently part-time.
The duties are as follows:
- The City Clerk is the keeper of the City Seal. The City Clerk is responsible for attesting the Mayor's signature and applying the City Seal to all ordinances, resolutions, agreements, and some licenses and permits.
- The City Clerk must attend all meetings of City Council including executive sessions.
- The City Clerk takes roll call of all votes and notes the votes for the official record.
- The City Clerk prepares all minutes of meetings held by City Council and maintains audio recordings of executive sessions.
- Duties associated with municipal elections.
You can always phone Deputy City Clerk Ruth Scott at (815) 748-2090 during business hours for assistance in routing your call, or:
- To submit a Freedom of Information Act request, follow this link: Transparency Opens a New Window. .
- For help with water service, visit Utility Billing Opens a New Window. .
- To talk to someone about a traffic ticket or hearing date, go to Administrative Hearings Opens a New Window. .
- For information about business licenses and permits, start here Opens a New Window. .
- To find information about candidates running for offices other than City of DeKalb offices (school board candidates, for example) see the DeKalb County Clerk Opens a New Window. .