Riders Guides and helpful information
Attention Route 12 – Elburn METRA Riders
If you need the City of DeKalb Bus to hold due to your train being late Monday – Friday, please call 815-758-6900. The Elburn return Bus can hold a short amount of time, but the bus may need to depart so that it can perform the next service run.
Fixed Route information
- Routes 2R, 2L, 3, 4, 5, 10, and 11 primarily service the campus of Northern Illinois University.
- Routes 2R, 2L, 3, 4, 5, & 10 are fare free routes, passengers can enter and exit through either door.
- The following routes require a fare or valid NIU OneCard: 11, 12 (requires both form of payments and One Card), 16, 17, 18, 19, and 21.
- For all routes requiring a fare, board the bus through the front doors and please have your fare ready. Cash must be the exact fare - bus drivers do not carry change. Cash goes in the farebox. If you are using an NIU OneCard, show your ID to the driver.
- Route 12 services the Elburn Train Station.
- Route 16, 17, and 18 service off campus areas such as Taylor St., DeKalb County Health Department, First St., and Sycamore Rd.
- Route 19E and Route 19 services south DeKalb including Park 88 and Harvestore Dr.
- Route 21 services Sycamore.
- Passengers paying the discounted fare rate(seniors and disabled) are required to present acceptable proof of eligibility upon boarding.
- Passengers using transfers may do so at designated transfer spots located along certain routes as defined in the Riders Guide. Transfers must be given to the driver or placed in the farebox.
- If you need to take more than one fare paying bus route to arrive at your destination, you will need a transfer. Ask your driver for one when you pay your fare. Transfers are valid on any route other than the bus you received the transfer from. Example: If you receive a Route 16 transfers, you can use the transfer on any other route except the Route 16.
How to ride the city of dekalb public transit bus
- Locate your pick-up and drop off point on the appropriate Route Guide to determine where you will board and exit the bus. Be sure to check the time schedule for the route you will be using; you may need to transfer from one route to another to reach your destination.
- Arrive at your bus stop at least 5 minutes early. All bus stops are marked with a bus stop sign. Be sure to stand near the sign, bench, or bus shelter so the driver can easily see you; the driver may not know to stop if you are not clearly visible. For the safety of our passengers, DeKalb Public Transit buses only stop at designated bus stops.
- Make sure the driver sees you as the bus approaches the stop. Before boarding the bus, make sure it is the bus you wish to take by checking the route number located above the windshield. If you are unsure, ask the driver to assist you.
- Each route has a departure schedule with timepoints for several stops along its route. The buses travel through the schedule from the left to the right. The time points in the schedule correspond with the locations on the map. To know when to be at a bus stop that is between two time points, use the time point before your stop.
- After paying your fare, please hold on to the rails or stanchions in order to move to a vacant seat. Please be aware that seniors and persons with disabilities have priority use the seats at the front of the vehicle. If all seats are taken, hold on the rails or stanchions. If you are using a mobility device, such as a wheelchair, the operator must secure the device before leaving the bus stop.
- Approximately two blocks before your stop, pull the stop request cord to signal the driver that you want to get off at the next stop. If you are unsure about when to pull the cord to request the stop, tell the operator where you need to go as you board the vehicle and he/she will stop at the nearest stop for you. Exit through the rear doors and hold the door handles as you exit the bus.
- After you exit, stand to the side of the road or on the sidewalk until the bus has pulled away. For your safety, do not cross in front of the bus and always obey all traffic signals.