Planning & Zoning Commission
The Planning and Zoning Commission conducts public hearings on all zoning matters, reviews subdivisions and other land use plans, and maintains the City’s Comprehensive Plan. Recommendations on all matters, except variations, are forwarded to the City Council for final consideration. The Commission is made up of seven (7) members appointed by the Mayor and subjected to the approval of the City Council. Members of the Planning and Zoning Commission must live within the DeKalb corporate boundaries or within the territory contiguous to DeKalb, not more than one and one-half miles beyond the corporate boundaries nor included within any other municipality. No more than one (1) member at any particular time may reside outside the corporate boundaries.
Meetings of the Planning and Zoning Commission (PZC) are held on the first and third Mondays of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the Yusunas Meeting Room at the DeKalb Public Library, 309 Oak St., DeKalb, IL unless otherwise posted.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Preparing and recommending to the City Council a comprehensive plan for the present and future development or redevelopment of the City of DeKalb and contiguous unincorporated territory not more than one and one-half miles beyond the corporate limits of the City and not included in any other municipality
- Providing for the health, safety comfort and convenience of the inhabitants of the City of DeKalb and contiguous territory by establishing reasonable standards of design for subdivisions and for resubdivisions of unimproved land and of areas subject to redevelopment in respect to public improvement and reasonable requirements governing the located, width, course and surfacing of public streets and highways, alleys, ways for public service facilities, curbs, gutters, sidewalks, street lights, parks, playgrounds, school grounds, size of lots to be used for residential purposes, storm water drainage, water supply and distribution, sanitary sewers and sewage collection and treatment
- Holding public hearings when land use petitions are considered and public comments take place for the following:
- Amendments to the Comprehensive Plan
- Planned Developments
- Special Uses
- Text Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance
- Zoning Map Amendments
- Appeals and Variances
- Max Maxwell - Chair
- Bill McMahon - Vice Chair
- Steve Becker
- Trixy O'Flaherty
- Maria Pena-Graham
- Shannon Stoker
- Jerry Wright
For More Information
To learn more about this commission, please refer to Municipal Code Chapter 21 or contact Planning Director Dan Olson Opens a New Window. at 815-748-2361. Check out the City Calendar to view a listing of future public meetings.