Economic Development Commission
On August 22, 2016, the City Council approved this ordinance redefining the Economic Development Commission. The purpose and goal of the Economic Development Commission (EDC) is the maintenance of the economic health of the existing community and the promotion of industrial development, commercial, business, retail and other supporting services which will provide quality job opportunities, diversify and broaden the tax base, and enhance the quality of life in the City of DeKalb.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval. View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes.
- Providing recommendations for the maintenance of the economic health of the existing community and the promotion of industrial, commercial, business, and retail development, as well as other supporting services which will provide quality job opportunities, diversify and broaden the tax base, and enhance the quality of life in the City of DeKalb.
- Engaging in strategic economic development planning and provide recommendations for policy development.
- Making recommendations to the City Council on how to improve the overall competitiveness of the community, and how to create opportunities and developable sites for future economic development.
- Recommending goals and methods for enhancing the relationship between the City and its business community.
- Cooperating with local governments, economic development organizations, chambers of commerce, educational institutions, convention and visitors bureaus, and other City organizations and commissions in their marketing and promotion efforts to attract new business to the community.
- Providing an annual update to the City Council on the activities of the Commission.
- Providing assistance to City staff as requested to meet project goals and deadlines, including assistance to the City Council in an advisory capacity in matters related to the City's activities under the State of Illinois Business Development and Redevelopment District statute.
- Trixy O’Flaherty – Chair
- Vernese Edghill-Walden
- Grant Goltz
- Mohammed Labadi
- Jeff Richardson
- Mark Sawyer
- Sam Walt
For More Information
To learn more about this committee, please refer to Municipal Code Chapter 59.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Jason Michnick, Economic Development Planner, or call 815-748-2365.