While DeKalb enjoys the diversity of four distinct seasons, our winters can produce extreme temperatures. At times, weather conditions may pose a threat to health and safety. Bitter cold temperatures are more than an inconvenience; they pose a serious threat to health and safety.
Protect Yourself and Family:
- Wear several layers of loose, warm clothing
- Keep your head, hands, and feet covered when outdoors
- Avoid alcoholic beverages
- Recognize the symptoms of hypothermia: stiff muscles, shivering, puffy or swollen face, cold skin, slow breathing and mental confusion
- Never use an extension cord with a space heater. Ovens should not be used to heat homes